Friday, May 25, 2012

Family

I miss my family. Before we departed, we spent a lot of time together as a family. Both with my immediate family and with my extended, very large family.

Peter's nephew passed away this week. He was only 12 years old. His parents are Christian Scientists and as such do not believe in doctors and hospitals. He was sick for two days and then died. It is terribly sad. The law in Kenya frowns upon this as it does in the US. The family has been going through quite a lot. That said, yesterday all of the family gathered together at Peter's sister's house. It got very late and two of his aunts and one cousin came to our house to have a place to sleep for the night.

What a treat. They spoke little English. We spoke little Swahili or Kikuyu ( their native tongue) But it was like having two of my aunts ( say Aunt Frances and Aunt Rosie) and one of my cousins ( Janet) at our house. Even though they had had a very tough day they were laughing and giggling like small children. And they smiled the entire time they were here. They told stories ( I don't know what they were, but you could tell they were great tales) and they laughed until very late.

Here are my aunts Consolata and Margaret and my cousin Veronica.


A smile and laughter are indeed universal as is the love in a close family.





No comments:

Post a Comment