Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Dentist

Part of the prep for this trip includes seeing every doctor known to mankind just in case. We have had all of our parts examined ( except our heads, and that would be unwise.) It means making sure medications we take regularly are available there. It means making sure we have health insurance in place before we leave. It means facing many fears....
Ok so ..some people tell me that they would be afraid to go to Kenya. I say that doesn't scare me at all. But today, I have to go to the dentist. And THAT scares me.
And then I say to myself, really? afraid of the dentist? Remember all of those wonderfully beautiful smiles of the people who wait in medical camp lines for hours for just one opportunity to see a dentist. Remember how happy they are just to be able to get relief. They don't require massaging chairs, soothing music, sedatives....  Children come and have a tooth pulled then hop on the matatu and go back to school to take an exam.

So today, I will take my music with me... but I will close my eyes and see the faces of those grateful friends who come to the medical camps.... and I'll stop being a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment